ayanami

The Society of the Spectacle
Guy Debord, Donald Nicholson-Smith
Les Misérables
Victor Hugo, Norman MacAfee, Lee Fahnestock
Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie Rich, layered, extremely well-written, Midnight's Children is an intricate and ambitious novel that intertwines a childhood with India's history. Rushdie's writing is lush and dense, often meandering, and sometimes a difficult read, but very worth the time. I felt as if every word was carefully chosen, his sentences finely crafted to perfectly contain the meanings and subtleties he intended. It's very challenging to read, as the narrator often makes references to people, places, things, that haven't come up in the story yet, and Rushdie's obsessive attention to detail meant it became difficult at times to keep track of all the things that had happened. It was a great read and definitely worth rereading (think of all the details you might have missed the first time!) and I only wish I knew more about India's history and politics so I can appreciate Rushdie's genius more.

One thing I found interesting: The copy I read had an introduction written by the author in 2005, 25 years after the novel was first published, and in it he notes that Westerners seem to approach the novel more as a fantasy whereas Indians say it's very realistic.