ayanami

The Society of the Spectacle
Guy Debord, Donald Nicholson-Smith
Les Misérables
Victor Hugo, Norman MacAfee, Lee Fahnestock
Obernewtyn - Isobelle Carmody This is a book that I was really looking forward to and it turned out to be a great disappointment. The premise has all the things I like-- a dystopian post-apocalyptic world where science and knowledge has crumbled and people struggle to cobble together an existence, humans discovering their newly-developing supernatural powers, conspiracies and the search for truth, even talking animals... I see so much potential in this series but I was really let down by the author's writing.

One of the cardinal rules of writing is tell, not show. Now, there are plenty of books I've read that break this rule quite a bit and I still enjoyed them but this particular book isn't one of them. Instead of giving us the actual scenes wherein important information is revealed or important conversations occur, we are simply told afterward that this or that happened or so-and-so had a talk and said these things. It meant that there was very little action in the book because we're just given a summary of what happened only after it occurred. This made for such an incredibly frustrating and boring read and I no longer feel interested in the series.