ayanami

The Society of the Spectacle
Guy Debord, Donald Nicholson-Smith
Les Misérables
Victor Hugo, Norman MacAfee, Lee Fahnestock
We - Clarence Brown, Евгений Замятин, Yevgeny Zamyatin Recommended to me as a prototype for [b:1984|5470|1984|George Orwell|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1348990566s/5470.jpg|153313] and [b:Brave New World|5129|Brave New World|Aldous Huxley|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1327865608s/5129.jpg|3204877], which I definitely think are better books, but We is certainly not without its charm. I can see why it's important in the development of the dystopian genre, but found it less engaging than the other two previously mentioned. There is a lack of explanation for much of the dystopian setting, but the essentials were there. Maybe I've read far too many dystopian novels (I love the genre) but I couldn't help feeling as I read that there are so many other authors who did this kind of thing way better. The language is a little odd, perhaps it's just the translation or maybe that's just the way it was written, and I found it a bit difficult to really get into. Still, I must say I love the way Zamyatin describes his characters-- O with her round pink lips and S with his S-shaped body and translucent wing-like ears... Just lovely.