ayanami

The Society of the Spectacle
Guy Debord, Donald Nicholson-Smith
Les Misérables
Victor Hugo, Norman MacAfee, Lee Fahnestock
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  - J.K. Rowling I have mixed feelings about the last installment of Harry Potter's story. On one hand, it was a deeply satisfying ending to a good series. On the other hand, the book is so messy and uneven-- the first half is incredibly dull-- and crammed full of new information that I find it very hard to believe that JKR planned the whole series in advance.

I kept waiting for something to happen with Draco Malfoy. His role was much bigger in the first few books of the series and then he became less important but JKR kept him around anyway. I kept thinking halfway through the book he'll switch sides, but instead he keeps getting rescued by Harry, Ron and Hermione, which just made him seem even more pathetic. But I guess that was kind of the point.

I loved the last chapter, and really think the book would have ended nicely there but I understand that for such a long series, readers might need more closure. An epilogue made sense. But the epilogue we were actually given was not so much an epilogue as a few pages of straight out name-dropping. Did we really need to know all the names of the children? I think it's enough to just show Harry happily married with kids; the actual names, along with mentioning the other characters (Hagrid, Teddy Lupin, Neville) were unnecessary.