ayanami

The Society of the Spectacle
Guy Debord, Donald Nicholson-Smith
Les Misérables
Victor Hugo, Norman MacAfee, Lee Fahnestock
City of Bones - Cassandra Clare Just okay. This would have been more enjoyable had I not already read a slew of YA paranormal books that are all basically just like this one. Except City of Bones doesn't focus on just one type of mythical being and tries to combine all sorts of monsters, demons, fairies, vampires, etc., into one book and it just feels too cluttered, too forced, and too unfocused. I think it would have been fine if some of the information and worldbuilding were spread out over several books instead of just the one, but instead everything is packed in, making for several totally unnecessary scenes and side plots.

Also, I don't particularly like any of the characters. No, not even Jace.

So, this book was pretty much a miss for me, even though I've actually read it twice. It's not too bad, all things considered. It's just not particularly good either. Plus, I've read all about Cassandra Clare's fandom history and accusations of plagiarism, and well, while I believe people can learn from their mistakes, the whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth and makes me even less inclined to pick up anything she writes in the future.