ayanami

The Society of the Spectacle
Guy Debord, Donald Nicholson-Smith
Les Misérables
Victor Hugo, Norman MacAfee, Lee Fahnestock
Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) - Susan Ee Angelfall is fraught with all the typical tropes that all popular YA paranormal series seem to contain these days, but it is nonetheless an enjoyable enough turn-off-your-brain kind of read. Exciting, fast-paced, and action-oriented, Angelfall tells the story of when fallen angels of the destructive Biblical variety come to Earth. The angel mythology that Susan Ee develops is original enough, and I like that she seems to know her Bible. There are some really weird developments regarding the mythology and it's downright gross in places, but that kept me intrigued enough to keep reading a book whose genre I have really grown tired of.

The worldbuilding and story background is very hazy-- there was an apocalypse a couple months back, but there's no real description of what exactly happened, except that it involved angels. Because of this, there's no real sense that the angels are terrifying or dangerous, because the details surrounding them are so scant. I also question if human society can regress so much in such a short time frame after the event. It seemed more like the apocalypse was a few years rather than a few months ago.

The characters also left much to be desired. Penryn and Raffe are basically stock characters that you find in most YA novels: Penryn as the action girl, brave, loyal, and dedicated to her younger sister; Raffe as the brooding and mysterious supernatural bad boy. It's a combination that is too common, and frankly, one that I'm beyond sick of. I wasn't terribly fond of either character and didn't connect with them, but was pulled in by the steady pace of the plot that I enjoyed the story nonetheless. I'm not sure at this point whether I'll go on with the series. It's purported to be at least 5 books in length, and I'm not really convinced by the characters enough to last another 4 books.