ayanami

The Society of the Spectacle
Guy Debord, Donald Nicholson-Smith
Les Misérables
Victor Hugo, Norman MacAfee, Lee Fahnestock
Promises - Marie Sexton Jared is a gay man living in Coda, a small town in Colarado, and runs a small shop with his brother and sister-in-law. He befriends Matt, newly hired by the local police, and despite Matt's claims of being straight, their friendship comes under scrutiny from everyone in town. Jared falls in love and Matt struggles with his feelings for the other man.

This is a very sweet romance that builds the relationship between the two leads slowly. The story is told from Jared's perspective, and I love the quirkyness and humour of his narration; you can really feel his personality coming through the pages. Appropriate, then, that Matt comes off as somewhat of an enigma, as we are getting to know him as Jared does and through Jared's eyes. The author takes her time establishing their friendship, which is incredibly sweet and lovely, though I find Matt's actions a bit hard to believe sometimes. I mean, he's very much in denial about his sexuality, or perhaps just oblivious, but I don't quite buy it entirely.

By the end, everything is wrapped up so perfectly that I find it unrealistic, but it's such a breezy, romantic read (though certainly not without some angst) that I can't help but just enjoy myself in this book. At this point I don't think I'll pick up the next book in the series, but only because I'm not a big fan of contemporary romance.